I spent the entire last semester rushing from class to work to track to every social event I was invited to. In the precious free time I had left, I would often prioritize other homework over my ukulele practicing. I would look across my room at the small wooden instrument and feel a sense of stress and anxiety- how would I ever find time to play?

Then the world was flipped upside down. As the Covid-19 virus began to spread more rapidly, people were called to change their entire lifestyles. “Cancelled” became a catch phrase for just about everything. Social distancing saw us retreat to our living rooms, back yards and bedrooms in a crucial fight to flatten the curve.

Time exists on a different scale now, as if we are living in a new dimension. Conversations no longer feel rushed and agendas are empty. Each and everyone of us now exists outside so many societal structures that begged of us to “stay busy”.

And we have been granted TIME. Time to create, to ponder, to learn about whatever speaks to us. Time to truly connect with those around us (over face time or from a few meters away, of course).

With this comes time to play the ukulele. When I pick up the instrument and strum the chords of my next song (Riptide), I know that there is no longer a rush to learn as quickly as possible. We will see where this takes me in a few days as I complete my final Musicanship Growth video, but I have a feeling it will all work out OK.