I had another post created for this week, but felt the need to push it to the side in light of recent events.

I think it is fair to say that the majority of us are just taking things day by day. Nobody knows how this crisis will play out, and it can feel quite scary paddling into uncharted waters.

we don’t know what sort of waters lie ahead

Although we don’t know at what pace, the curve of this virus will eventually flatten. The landscape of Covoid-19 will change, stores will replenish their hand sanitizer stocks, and we’ll be able to examine our response to this global health crisis.

We’re all in this together, and we’re all going to come out of it together. But there are some things that won’t (and shouldn’t) remain the same.

Among them is our perception of humanity- how we really do depend on one another, and we really can react to a crisis.

There is, of course, another crisis looming overhead. Like coronavirus, it has been met with undermining and denial from world leaders and citizens alike. But this crisis- climate change- has yet to receive the response it so desperately calls for.

When I begin my teaching practice, I’ll be education a cohort of children who have witnessed first hand that we can alter our lifestyles and take measures to respond to emergencies. This kids will grow up knowing and believing it is possible to put life on hold for the greater good of our planet and its citizens.

With this knowledge, I believe it is our job as educators to teach our students about just how severe a threat climate change truly is. Although this currently crisis was not responded to until it was right under our noses, the future does not have to be like this.

Just something to think about as we all co-exisit within our own little worlds, wash our hands a little more, and live life with a little more compassion for those who are most vulnerable.