As the semester comes to an anti-climatic end, I’m left to reflect on my free inquiry for this year.

When I chose the topic of classroom sustainability, I did so under the assumption that our FreeInquiry blogs should be centred around teaching. However, I quickly realized most of my peers chose more personal topics such as learning a new skill or following a improvement journey. Nevertheless, I continued to write about classroom sustainability each week, despite the fact I was not actualizing my lesson plans or teaching ideas.

Pondering the theme of environmentalism at an elementary level lead me to some interesting discoveries. It was a topic of inquiry that I am deeply passionate about, so I had no trouble coming up with ideas for each week’s blog post and had a ton of fun writing them. As a matter of fact, it did not feel like a chore or another class assignment, but rather a fun project to research every week.

Not only that, but I can now look back at my posts as ideas for my future classroom once I begin my practice. All in all,  I feel like choosing this topic for Inquiry allowed me to dip my toes into the waters of classroom sustainability, and I cannot wait to dive right in once I become a teacher.

Pop ‘n Zebra// UnSplash