Learning a new instrument can be challenging, especially when most of  the process is done solo. However, I’ve been able to take advantage of a number of resources that have made the process easier! Here are some of the websites, apps and more that are helping my ukulele journey.

1. Chordify.  Chordify is a free IOS app that transforms any song into readable chords for guitar, ukulele, piano and more! The chords appear on the screen at the same time as the music, making it easy to follow along. Chordify allows you to “favourite” songs and add them to your personal library, so it is easy to open the app and find the songs you are working on.

Chordify logo
  2. Youtube. When I  decided the instrument I wanted to focus on this semester, the first thing I did was type “how to play the ukulele” into youtube’s search engine. I was greeted with a plethora of videos about learning different songs, as well as general instructional advice. Having access to content from a variety of creators allows me to pull tips from people of different perspectives. This has strengthened my knowledge of ukulele and benefited my playing.
  3. GuitarTuna :  A tuner app for ukulele, guitar, bass and more, GuitarTuna detects the chords you play on the instrument and lets you know if you are too high, too low, or just right. Although I eventually wish to be able to tune my ukulele by ear, this app offers a great set of training wheels.
  4. Other people: I’m lucky enough to have other peers in the cohort learning the same instrument as me! I always feel immense transformation after the classes we spend playing together. It’s also great to have people to swap tips and tricks with!