Well, its been almost a month since I picked up the ukulele for the first time and began to strum some basic chords.

Since then, I’ve come to realize how learning this cheery sounding instrument isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. My inquiry into learning the ukulele has proved to be quite the challenge; and I’m struggling not to get frustrated by spending what seems like forever trying to tune the instrument or learn a new chord. My fingers are sore and I feel like I’m nowhere near mastering smooth transitions between chords.

Not only this, but  pushed my out of my comfort zone in ways I never anticipated! I saw some guitars in the window of an unassuming storefront on Johnson Street and wandered in to buy some guitar picks. I had absolutely no idea it was actually a pawn shop, and was greeted by walls of GUNS. Rifles, pistols, you name it! I was shocked to say the least and got the uneasy feeling I always get around guns, but I spent my $0.75 on the picks and even found some in pretty colours. Pretty hardcore, hey?

My finger-saving pawn shop finds

All I can say is that I had no idea what I was getting into when I designed my musical growth template! I am beginning to worry that goals I set for myself are a tad ambitious. Nevertheless, I’ll continue to practice and seek advice from my peers. It’s all part of the learning process, and I’m actually quite lucky to be in this position, as I believe it will make me a stronger teacher.  Now I’ll be able to put myself in the shoes of students who are struggling to learn something completely new to them. Hey, I can even warn them not be afraid of the guns in pawn shops.

Can’t wait to progress on the ukulele

Guess its time to practice my chords! Until next time,

-Katie